Living in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia I have firsthand experience with free healthcare. I know in the states that we have been very up in arms about the proposal of healthcare reform. This post is simply my observations on healthcare here, and is not an attempt to sway you on either side of healthcare reform.
On the compound we have a hospital/clinic that is easy to get to from any point in camp. The hospital reminds me very much of the Veterans Administration in the States, in fact it's even ran that way. Specialty clinics are at our fellow Dhahran camp. I prefer to make all my appointments online, you can phone in but usually the language barrier is a problem. Believe it or not I have been three times since I arrived here. The first time was for blood work for my Iquama (national proof of residency). The second time has been for a stabbing pain in my heel. It was at this visit I met the doctor that I had chosen. I believe the nurses told me he was Australian and European. Either way, he was great. The doctor's office and examination room is all combined. The doctor even calls the patient to the room. It's very weird for me to walk in and sit at a desk first and then go to the examine table. He was so nice, and took time with me. I thought wow, this isn't so bad.
I was given a prescription for ibuprophen, and heel pads plus physical rehab. The pharmacy was set up just like the V.A. I gave the pharmacy a slip of paper, and I waited for my number to called. The best part of all of this was that no money came out of my pockets. It was wonderful and weird all at the same time.
Yesterday I had a knot to start swelling on my leg; my first thought was of my grandmother having varicose veins and them bursting. Freaked me out a little. I didn't have an appointment so I went to E.R. The gentleman at E.R. was rude to me, and told me I had no business in E.R. I then had to go to unscheduled patients. The physician looked at my leg, and states “it’s not fracture". Did I say it was!! Then he hops on the computer, and gives me ibuprophen. What?!! Also, let me tell you, ibuprophen here is a huge pill that reminds me of the shape and size of Mentos.
All of this leg and feet problems are coming from me constantly hitting the pavement everywhere I go. We are waiting for my husband’s driver’s license and then we will have a vehicle. Meantime, it’s walk, bike, or sit at home.
Just goes to show the doctor not the healthcare is what makes the difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment