Friday, May 21, 2010

Weekends

The weekend here starts on Wednesday and ends on Friday. It has taken some getting use to not having Saturday and Sunday off. It just doesn't feel right. The past couple of weekends I have talked my husband into taking the shopper's bus that makes stop in Al-Khobar. The downside of this is that you are stuck at the location you choose for about 4 hours. Great for me, but not so great for him. 

The malls here in Dharahan and Al-Khobar are awesome. The Rashid mall is very upscale with five levels, but I enjoy the mall of Dhahran because it has Macoroni Grill, Tony Roma's, and more American chains. It is also a little more relaxing to be on one level. I think I have gotten some anxiety since being here. I enjoyed eating brunch yesterday at the cutest French restrauanat. The strawberry tart was so wonderful I wanted to eat three, but my recent weight gain reminded me not to get carried away.  The unusual has always been my thing,  I love dressing in ethnic prints so a store called Zara had wonderful long cotton tops that I could pair with leggings.  Sadly, I had to get men's leggings because they did not carry anything above a small and the shopkeeper kept saying I was too tall.  I have a hard time adjusting to prayer time. During prayer time all operartions cease, so if you are inside a store they ask you to leave and everyone shuts down their storefronts. Prayer typically last  thrity minutes. I always try to be a coffee shop so I can enjoy a break during this time and get served before the call.  Midday prayers start somewhere between 11:30-12:30, but sometimes stores don't open up again untill 4:00. However the malls always open back up.  Sunset prayers between 5:30-6:30.  Ishna, (dinner time)  7:00pm and 8:00pm.  The time differs slightly everyday and it  definetly takes some getting use to, but having a Ikea within driving distance makes up for all the hassle.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment