My adventure began on April 29 when we boarded a plane and headed to Saudi Arabia. I guess I should go back a few months because it really started in Feb. when my husband went to interview with the petroleum giant Saudi Aramco. When he received a job offer the next week I was a little apprehensive, but could not imagine being here in three months. On April 29 we left Nashville and endured a long plane trip from Philly, Germany and our final destination here in the Kingdom. The night we landed in the Kingdom I had so many feelings, ranging from excitement to fear. The immigration line upon our arrival took us two hours to get through, I heard from others that they waited 4 hours so I can't complain. It was intimidating to see everyone in black except for us few Westerns. There was very little talking, and the persons working the immigration line was very forceful.After immigration we went to luggage to proceed to the customs line and then the nightmare began. Out of six pieces of luggage we had nothing. Not a single bag! I looked at my husband and in our hearts we knew it was not there but we proceed to check. Unlike some Aramcons ( people who work for Aramco) we made the choice to take cash in lieu of the shipping, so these bags held our only possessions from home.
In the middle of the night we were transported from the airport to our new home. I must say I was impressed with my accommodations. We qualified for a two bedroom, bonus room, study, 2.5 bath home two story townhouse. Just enough room and then some. Luckily, Aramco furnishes your apartment for the first three months and then you have the option of buying, waiting for your shipment to arrive, or renting their furniture for a small fee. We live on the compound of Ras Tanura and it is a beautiful beach compound in the city of Najimah. This compound sits on the gulf of the Arabian ocean. What a long way this moonbaby has traveled.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI am Australian and will be moving to RT soon. How is life in RT.
Cheers,
Jack