Friday, June 25, 2010

The Fish Market

It's a small world.  This week I met someone that I knew from my hometown. She was here visiting her daughter, who is an Aramcon.  We took the shopper's bus today into Khobar since both of our husbands had to work.  We went to my favorite mall, the Mall of  Dharhan. Her husband offer to take us home instead of the bus and to take us to a really fancy restranant. This would require us to spend over 9 hours in the mall, but it was wonderful. I am still amazed at the size of the malls here, I spend those 9 hours and still did not see everything.  I am sure I gained about 10 pounds because during each prayer call we ate a snack. Smoothies, pizzas, desserts, and cookies were all scrumptious. 

Later that night I was taken to the Fish Market. The Fish Market was an experience.  When you entered the restranauant you had to walk up four flights of stairs. There was aquariams everywhere full of all of types of fish.  I was required to pick out my own seafood from a large selection of very fresh product on ice.




We were able to obtain a seat by a window that overlooked a beautiful park. The park was filled with hundreds of families and there was a beautiful mosque in the distance.  I have observed in Saudi culture that everything happens later than in the states. For instance when we were dining it was approximatley ten at night but families were still arriving at the beach, and the restruanant. Children play in  the streets until very late at night. Society doesn't seem to get moving until Westerners are going to bed.  I was very happy to had the opportunity to experience the Fish Market.  However, am still ready to go home and eat some pork!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment