There are alot of things that I am still trying to get accustomed to here in the Kingdom. This week I was in an office building and of course I was sitting on the female side because I don’t' have any other choice. I entered the room and a lady was sitting there completely covered in her abaya, and I immediately noticed that she seemed uncomfortable at my arrival. Later, two more women arrived with their sons and the only seating left was near me. These women chose to stand up rather than sit near me. I had smiled, and try to show them that I was a friendly person, but they wanted nothing to do with me. I felt so isolated by this incident. One of their sons was on the only side with his father and he kept looking at me when he thought I wasn't looking. When I got up, to go around the corner he gave me the most horrific look that any child has ever given me. This incident has stuck with me. Do they view me as the American devil?
This isn’t the first incident where local women have shunned me. My husband put it in perspective by telling me that they know that am American and how would I feel seeing a woman that is able to go in public without her head covered and enjoying more freedoms. Perhaps I serve as a reminder of their limited freedom. Even as an American woman am dealing with limitations on my freedoms as well. After I have these encounters I am always glad that I have the opportunity to feel like an outsider. When I return to the States I will make a conscious effort to go the extra mile to those visiting my country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment